Friday 6 April 2007

Not All Holidays are Celebrations

I never intended to make any posts even remotely related to religion. I find it is a topic people get riled about easily.

But I'm not letting this pass.

Happy Good Friday?

Good Friday is not the start of a three-day weekend! It is an observance! A day meant to remember a potent sacrifice! What's next, Happy Memorial Day? Happy Bombing of Pearl Harbor Anniversary? Happy September 11th?

Many people are commonly confused by the "good" designation, which incidentally is used only in English and Dutch translations of the term. In other languages and countries, the day is referred to as "Holy Friday", "Great Friday" and even "Mourning Friday." In some countries the radio stations shut off as a mark of respect, and liquor is not allowed to be sold. The bottom line is, Good Friday is an inherently serious day.

I'm not Christian. But I cried when I read about The Passion. And I believe that on a sombre day such as this, the least you can do, no matter what your religion, is offer some proper respect.

Happy Easter, if you like. But not Good Friday. Today is a day for reflection and remembrance.

No comments: