Wednesday 7 December 2011

Social Skills

You know those moments when there's another person nearby, and you figure you ought to say something, but simply can't think of something? And then the silence goes on while both of you try to find something to fill the space with, and it just gets worse and worse with every second.

Some people have the skills to deal with this. They just pull a conversation topic from... some other dimension, or something, and just like that, the tension eases. See, I can't do that. Every time I try, I end up babbling like a complete idiot.

Social skills. What are they?

Now, cashiers have the skills. At the shop where I get a bottle of apple-blackcurrant juice every now and then, there's a girl who always notices my nail-polish. I suspect she recognises me purely by my nails. Which is somewhat curious, because it's not as if the colours in my limited collection (light blue, metallic blue, apple-green, gold and lilac) are at all outré, but there you are.

No comments: