Sunday 30 January 2011

Melbourne from a 737

Qantas. Why? Your planes tend towards old, but are still functional. Your food is good. Your stewardesses - okay, standards are falling everywhere, but you still have a few good ones working for you. Your flights are relatively cheap. If you were more organised, you would overtake Singapore Airlines easily!

I had a harrowing time getting to Australia. Two big traffic jams blocking both routes to Changi Airport, a long delay at check-in because Qantas forgot to deduct a fee, poor signage leading to us almost losing our luggage, and a flu plaguing me throughout the whole thing. You know how your ears pop as the aeroplane lands? Did you know that the pain is twenty times worse if you have viscous fluids blocking your sinuses? True facts!

Anyway I'm here, more or less. I suppose it's too much to expect these things to be easy.

Here, have a Bad Romance parody, Bad Project. It's the best lab-related one I know of. This is exactly what it's like doing a science-related PhD (having a good project is slightly better). It's subtle, but "Lady Science"'s costumes are made from common lab disposables.

The title of this post references a song. Internet cookie if you can identify it.

2 comments:

eudora said...

hi love, saw the comment you left on my LJ :)think I'm going to start trying to blog more often in there since I realised all of d3 has access to it. Also, I'm thinking about using the Illogic Island characters in another universe just for fun, let me know what you think! they might be fun Distractions of the Week for both of us. Also, send me your thinkgeek wishlist or I will be forced to simply surprise you (oh horrors)
and I SAW that video! Made me smile. Also, the Chinese characters being written on individual Eppendorf tubes, made me laugh. it was a happy. :D
and I use Noel as an alias quite frequently--considering my leanings, it's a nice gender neutral name that fits me on almost any given day. I should send you more of the stuff I write, if you ever need a break from work!
anyway I hope you're doing well, I miss you <3
write more often!!

Wintershark said...

YES BLOG MORE
(Facebook still confuses the heck out of me)

Sure, you can use the characters! I trust you've read enough of their stories to keep them in-character, not to mention "take the Illogic way out" every time. :D It will be fun to read some new stories with the old characters. I admit it's often hard for me to write new I.I. stories. I have to express my inner child to properly capture the right balance of wonder, humour, innocence and sheer bizarreness, and it doesn't always work. :(
(Btw, you can also use the Old Ones - i.e. Jeno Pa'arkthra, Nole Fleetwings, Gilbreth, etc.)

Surprise me. :)

Most of the main characters, especially the male ones, are largely written to be gender-neutral. Partially it's because they represent real-life girls. I suspect it's also because they are basically children. (Half the fun of writing I.I. is indulging in the sort of flights of fancy which adults are supposed to have outgrown.) J.P. does sometimes protest that he's a "fully-grown jeep", but nobody really pays attention to his fancies.

Yes, send me your works! I haven't read any in a long time, you writing style must have evolved quite rampantly.

I am doing about as well as each blog entry suggests, which is, uh, quite variable. And I miss you too!

I don't know what you mean by "write more often." Look at this essay I just wrote. My writings are often enough. :P But more blog entries will surely follow!