Wednesday 19 January 2011

Confirmation

... of Candidature. I just got an email telling me who my panel members are, and asking me to arrange a time to have a meeting with them, to decide if I'm fit to continue as a PhD student. Oral presentations and fierce questioning will be involved.

So my father just read in the newspaper that students tend to do better in exams if they've taken 10 minutes beforehand to write down all their worries on paper. Having articulated their concerns, they either realise how frivolous they are, or are able to prepare themselves to meet the challenge head-on. As the confirmation of candidature is a sort of exam for me, I'll have to try this out.

Of course I'm trying to distract myself from the terror of preparing for this thing. What do you think?

It doesn't help that my main supervisor, who will inevitably be on the panel, has THAT FACE. The one which convinces you that he doesn't approve of a word you are saying. He claims that he's just thinking and his face automatically does that without his knowledge, but given that he regularly tells fairly bad presenters that they've done a good job, I don't know if I should believe him.

What the heck. This isn't going to happen anytime soon. Time for thoughts of chicken rice and roti prata!

No comments: