Tuesday 27 February 2007

Art Exhaustion and an Update

I'm artistically exhausted, you know? Spent the last few days drawing, and not for a single project either. It was more like practice sketching today and yesterday and ink drawings for my lab logbook today.

They were pretty good ink drawings, even if I do say so myself.

Anyway, this is not my style. My style is to think about a sketch for days and weeks before committing it to paper (I'm a lazy artist - sue me) (on second thoughts, don't). However, I have another lab session tomorrow and that one will also require an illustrated log, so unless I wanted an overflowing pipeline I had to finish that log today.

For the record, overflowing pipelines are icky, even when they are mere metaphors.

Other stuff - went to meet friends on Saturday, watched Infection [Kansen] with them. It's a J-horror film about a horrible, understaffed hospital which just happens to be the scene for a creepy, supernaturalish infection.

(I don't know why I still watch J-horror. I thought The Ring had taught me a firm lesson, but apparently it hadn't because the next thing I did was to watch Shibuya Kaidan).

Anyway, I agree with most of the Internet reviews for Infection. Creepy for the first 90%, an utter mess for the last 10%. At the end of it we were all looking at each other and asking, "What just happened here?"

According to this site, they're remaking it for release this year, presumably for an English audience. Huh.

Anyway, we got the VCD of the movie from a rental store. As we were flipping through the clear plastic folders of VCD case covers, choosing films, I suddenly found the Bionicle 3 cover staring straight up at me.

Yup. Web of Shadows. Here in Singapore where I had once lost hope of ever finding a Bionicle movie.

Too bad I already have the DVD, and too bad it was my least favourite of the three movies.

There was also a copy of Advent Children. I so have to get hold of that thing.

Sunday nothing much happened - other than completing the final mission for Nod in Tiberian Sun two seconds too late to get a mission accomplished (I actually won - just that the ending cutscene took up the spare twenty seconds and apparently if that cutscene doesn't end on time, you lose) (curse it!). That depressed me, which is probably why I stopped gaming at that point and started to draw.

Monday - lab session for my final year project, for which I had to write a log as previously mentioned. Spent one hour adjusting the pH of the MS media. Bah.

Tuesday - ah, that would be today. I used the day to write the log entry - yes, it used up the whole day, especially with periodic breaks for food, checking of webcomics and general slacking off. Also, I had four drawings to do and I wanted all of them to be properly inked and shaded, thank you very much.

Speaking of webcomics, Nokia camera-toasters totally for the win. Of course, the real reason I'm sticking around is to see what Bun-Bun does when he finally digs himself out of the rubble Aylee so thoughtfully flattened into the ground.

And... for what happened before Saturday, I really can't remember. Not as if I care. Not as if anyone else does, this is just for catharsis and the pretence that I'm actually doing something meaningful.

Ah, pretence. The basis for the majority of human relations.

No comments: