Monday 22 January 2007

Reverse Karma

So this morning, I was heading out towards the glass doors of the school administrative block, when I saw two people - a school attendant and a teacher - hanging around on the other side of it. By their attitude, it was plain they were locked out. My side of the door had one of those push-button things that automatically unlock the door, so I opened it and let them in.

I took the lift up to my classroom and took the usual detour to the toilet. I found it was getting washed (unusually early, I might add - normally they start about forty minutes later), so as I always do when the toilet is unreachable, I take the stairs to the next floor's toilet. (I think commissioning a lift to go down one floor is a bit too much.) I walked down and found the door was locked - another unusual occurrence. With a nasty suspicion in my mind, I headed back up, tried the door I had just come through, and found it too was locked.

No, no, I'm not writing this from the stairwell. There is a wonderful invention known as the mobile phone, and my school has not found fit to ban them (there would be an uproar if they did, anyway), so I called the right people and got out. What was counter-intuitive was that right after helping some people who were locked out, I got locked out myself.

I suppose life really is a series of independent events. It is up to you whether you want to connect them.

No comments: