Thursday 29 April 2010

A Sling Shot

I'm making it my personal quest to make the titles, for all the entries with this tag, to have punny names. I've heard plenty over the last few days.

The sling's still on, but the fresh bandages are less bulky and therefore hurt less. I'm also starting to get adept with using my left hand - it hardly shakes during pipetting anymore. And my left-handed writing is improving... slowly.

So far it's been an interesting experience (but then again, I anticipated that it would be, hence the blog entries with this theme). Having essentially only one arm to do all the work means that I have to think differently about what I'm about to do, and sometimes plan ahead a little. I might even keep using some of the techniques I originally developed to help deal with my situation, especially if they free up my right hand for other things.

I've had various people come up to me, saying they'd never had the patience to work with one hand, could never manage, etc. I think if they ever had to, they would. Humans are an incredibly adaptable species, paradoxically with a strong aversion to change. And one can get used to almost anything, however inconvenient.

Nevertheless, my co-supervisor has reached a higher level than I have. He tells me he injured his right shoulder in an accident once, and had to keep the arm in a sling. Since he was not very good with his left hand, he used the injured hand, sling and all, to do his lab-work.

Hardcore.

No comments: