Wednesday 28 January 2009

Update XXIII: Anniversary

Because I feel that I ought to write a few words every now and then, if only for the silent lurkers who surprise me months later by quoting, verbatim, fragments of my blog posts.

It's been about two weeks since this blog turned two years old. (And still without any customised graphics. I ought to fix that some time.) I find myself with a degree completed, on the verge of heading back overseas to boost it with an Honours title. It's going to be a different year certainly, but seeing as I've survived this far, I can guess that the schoolwork won't be what kills me.

A big difference is that I will now be a senior student, with the responsibility of the new RP students to take care of. I'll try to keep them from making the same mistakes as we did, but it will be an uphill battle. I suppose there is no way they'll believe us until they've gone and suffered though it all over again.

On the drawing front, I've made leaps and bounds. Roughly three years ago PowerPoint surprised me with its almost PhotoShop-like capabilities. Now MSPaint has surprised me with its ease of use as a sketching tool, even under the control of a mouse. While paper drawing still has its advantages, I'll probably focus on improving my digital art skills. At the moment they are still limited (by time, especially), but given how far I've come, I think there is still much further I can go.

I've also surprised myself with how much better I've got at gaming. I successfully completed Red Alert 2 at a higher skill level, pulling new strategies which I never tried before and completing missions much faster than I used to. Generals seemed almost insulting in how simple it was to win. While gaming in itself is not an inherently useful occupation, the skills required to be any good at it are valuable. I like to think I am better at strategy now. (Perhaps I should try playing chess again.)

All in all, I can see I've grown as a person, and perhaps am more ready to handle the world than I used to be. While last year I was a nervous wreck, this year I aim to approach it head-on, with a generous helping of confidence.

Now for the real important question: should I take my little helicobacters with me, or leave them at home?

No comments: