Saturday 19 January 2008

Update XV: Hello, I'm from the Internet

Perhaps someday the future xkcd envisions will come to be, and the internet will be considered an actual, legitimate location. We've already got communities, universities, shops, restaurants, arcades, cinemas, search engines to transport us between them, laws to regulate behaviour... All we're missing are the toilets.

On the subject of xkcd, it's been changing the internet again. Try Googling "died in a blogging accident" now, and you'll get something in the region of 294,000 results. That's a sharp rise from the original 2 results when the comic was published.
See? Anyone can leave a mark on the internet. Without resorting to vandalism of Wikipedia pages.

iPod vs. The Cassette pits what is arguably the most popular mp3 player worldwide against what was once the most popular music storage device worldwide... and finds the iPod lacking. It's actually quite surprising how many advantages the cassette has, in spite of its age. Probably explains why the cassette's larger cousin, the video tape, outlasted the laser disc and is still in use today.

The scientists over at Bio-Rad decided to show their appreciation for the Polymerase Chain Reaction, the technique which revolutionised molecular biology when it was first developed in 1983, with The PCR Song. It's strangely catchy, and entirely tongue-in-cheek. My class loves the scene at the end when they bring in the thermal cycler.

It seems that this blog is the top Google return for "toothpick vampire", and scores pretty high for "Bionicle going downhill." I'm rather suprised by the first, considering I didn't actually say much on the topic. As for the second...
...I thought I made it pretty clear I don't think Bionicle is going downhill. Oh well.

Finally, I haven't done a meme in a while, and Websnark had an interesting one. The idea is to complete the sentence "In my world, superheroes..." any way you like. And so:

In my world, superheroes aren't afraid of who they are.
In my world, superheroes do normal things too.
In my world, superheroes know that the local laws of physics make absolutely no sense, and they don't care.
In my world, superheroes don't need to be young to be relevant.
In my world, superheroes choose modest outfits. (Seriously...)
In my world, superheroes don't think self-sacrifice is the best solution, but they'll do it if they have to.
In my world, superheroes don't keep getting new backstories all the time.
In my world, superheroes are nevertheless capable of undergoing character development.
In my world, superheroes never do wrong to benefit themselves.
In my world, superheroes never do right to benefit themselves either. They do right because that's what they believe in.
In my world, superheroes are never evil or cruel on purpose.
In my world, superheroes are, first and foremost, heroes.

...I hate it when newer comic-book writers make old favourites turn angsty or do terrible things. They're heroes, and while it is perfectly acceptable for them to be conflicted sometimes, they still should remain heroes at the end of the day. They're supposed to give us hope - how can we have hope in heroes who are worse than ourselves?

Anyway, that's all from me for now. Til next time.

6 comments:

Zhang Yang said...

Hey Priyangi, Zhang Yang here.

Are you intending to start a new blog after you go overseas? If you are, will it be in LJ? Most of D3 are using LJ blogs, so I thought it might be interesting to have all D3 in one blogging service.

I am still trying to decide whether to host my new blog in LJ or Blogger. If you are using LJ, I will switch to LJ too, if not I will just stick with Blogger.

Wintershark said...

I've already put in quite a lot of effort into setting up this blog, so I'll be keeping to it. I have a high level of inertia.

I have an LJ account though I don't use the blog, so I still can keep in touch with all you LJ-ers. :)

I don't know, I like your WordPress blog... Anyway, it depends on what you want. Blogger has all the advantages of the Google family, but LJ has better privacy options.

eudora said...

heyy dears...
I just saw the comparison of the iPod to the cassette and that was funny, although overly simplistic, maybe (:

and I like the superhero rules! hee. I think my superheroes will live by similar rules too. There was something I wanted to say and I've forgotten...
OH YES,
Toothpick vampire? say whuh??

Wintershark said...

It was obviously for a joke. We all know that iPods have other advantages, like being able to interface with computers and superior sound quality. Also, iPods don't catch fungus.

If you want, you can do up a list of your own superhero rules. ;)

Here's the URL to my blog entry on the subject:

http://wintershark.blogspot.com/2007/05/toothpick-vampire-candir.html

Basically, it's a parasitic fish called Candiru which is attracted to urea. And to lodging itself inside people's... urethrae. It's actually quite scary, because the fish can't get out on its own and has to be removed by surgery.

Anonymous said...

I am still deciding which of the three I want to host my new blog in.

Yeah. I kind of like my WordPress blog too. I like it's clean feel.

I guess I have to choose between privacy and quality, It's really a hard decision.

Wintershark said...

Why not get a separate blog on LJ for your secret ramblings? The LJ software will allow you to adjust privacy levels for different entries, and you'll still have your nice WordPress account for everyday stuff.