Wednesday 2 January 2008

365 1/4

So... It's January 2nd, and the new year is safely in. Which means now is a good time to think about the three hundred and sixty-five and a quarter days marking the Earth's last complete orbit around the Sun.

One year ago, when 2007 was a very new year, I dubbed it the Year of Entertainment. There were going to be a lot of important movies coming out in 2007 - Spiderman 3, Pirates of the Carribean 3: At World's End, the fifth Harry Potter movie, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and the long-awaited Transformers. There were going to be a lot of important game releases - Halo 3, Portal (packaged in The Orange Box) and the long, long, long, LONG awaited Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows was due to arrive in that year. So it was a very interesting year in the world of fiction, and I must say I wasn't disappointed. There isn't as much to look forward to in 2008, which is a little sad, but we can't have a Year of Entertainment every year, it would look cheap.

So what is 2008 about? For me it will be the Year of Uncertainty, as I fly off to new responsibilities and begin a new stage of my life. It may also be the Year of Change, the Year of Independence or possibly the Year of Growing Up. (I'm really hoping it won't be the Year of Stupid Mistakes.) Whatever it ends up... Okay, let's face it. I have no idea what it will end up as. How's about we meet up here in another year and talk about it?

To the new year.

No comments: