Wednesday 10 August 2011

A Momentous Occasion

Today, I started writing my PhD thesis.

The end has begun!

On an entirely different note, while the MRT Rap is largely cringe-worthy, the chorus is good and catchy. The bilingual lyrics just gave it a touch of Singaporean flavour to a performance which was otherwise trying too hard to imitate American rappers.

We'll take the MRT
It's where you want to be
No need for ERP
Mari kita!

Let's take the MRT
Come in and ride with me
This is equality
Mari kita!

And I did enjoy the parade. I got shivers from the theme song and the main performance, which was heartfelt and genuine. OK, the puppets were creepy. But the rest was great.

(Did you notice at the end, when President Nathan was shaking hands with some of the performers, he said  something to Gurmit Singh who promptly burst out laughing and patted the president on the back? I really want to know what he said!)

No comments: