Friday 1 April 2011

Shark Smile

I just placed number 40 on the leaderboard for Sydney Shark (total score: 4,285,663). I also scored new records in killing/destroying every type of target except, oddly enough, scuba divers. Which, uh, probably means that I have a lot of stress which needs to be pummeled out.

This has not been a good day. There is an experimental result I badly need to verify, one which I have been working towards for a year. We have a big meeting on Monday, and I would have liked to have had the result ready by then. I was even prepared to work through as much of the weekend as was necessary. Unfortunately, the particular tool I needed, which should have arrived yesterday, is still nowhere to be seen.

I'm so close, yet miles away from my target. I've worked so hard for this. And yet it's been so hard to check if what I've created is what I need. Everything which could have gone wrong did go wrong. It feels as if the world is twisting whatever it can to ensure I don't succeed.

It feels as if everyone I'm depending on is deliberately setting out to infuriate me.

I left early today. My expressions broadcast my emotions readily, and I was upset after finding out precisely why the delivery had been delayed, so I thought it best to take myself away from everyone else. As I was passing out the door, my co-supervisor was walking in. I thought I smiled as I bade him farewell. I can't have done too good a job of it, given how he jumped out of my path so quickly he almost fell over.

What a nice day to make fools of others.

No comments: