Friday 19 November 2010

That Which Pride Precedes

Shortly after my meeting with my supervisors yesterday, I collapsed in a faint. This wouldn't have been a big deal, except:

  • I couldn't move my legs, or even my upper body immediately after it happened
  • I work on a deadly pathogen with a varied and often unpredictable clinical presentation

One ambulance ride, a cannulation, an eye-examination which enabled me to see the blood vessels in my own eyeball, and some blood tests later, and it was determined that there was nothing more wrong with me than simple stress and exhaustion, combined with illness, poor diet and lack of regular sleep. Which I suppose isn't so simple after all.

I'm now at home, condemed to a day of boredom which I suppose I'll have to spend reading papers and looking at my sequencing. And laundry, probably. The everyday stuff which I normally shelve in favour of labwork.

I suppose I had this coming. Too much of anything, even something you enjoy, can lead to harsh consequences. In retrospect, it's just as well that I keeled over in the office, with my co-supervisor standing next to me, and not, say, while jaywalking.

I just wish I had been more conscious to enjoy the ambulance ride. What's the point of riding in an ambulance if you're going to be sick through it? Same thing with police cars - you have to be a criminal to be a passenger in one. How harsh.

The hospital food wasn't so bad though. Admittedly, I had gone for some nine hours without food by the time someone thought to send a tray in. Also, hungry or not, I didn't have more than a spoonful of the custard pudding. It was horrible.

I'm sure I'll consider this a grand adventure some day and laugh at it all. Kinda tired right now though. Hospitals are freaky places and I hate them.

Gonna get lunch now. I'm thinking hard-boiled eggs for some reason.

...

No comments: