Wednesday 20 January 2010

Red Tape is Fun

"What about "Red tape holds the nation together"?"
- Bernard Woolley

If you're planning on applying for a student visa to study overseas, take my advice and GET AN AGENT. On one hand, you might get a lousy agent who conveniently tells you to take the IELTS test a month too late for you to actually take it on time. On the other hand, said agent is paid to circumnavigate red tape and make aggressive phone calls to the embassy. The exchange is worth it, trust me. Furthermore, you don't have to pay anything beyond the standard visa application fee - the embassy pays the agent directly.

However, if you choose to handle the matter yourself, be prepared to send an inquiring email to your case officer:

Dear [WITHELD],
I took a medical examination last year for the renewal of my previous visa, less than twelve months ago. Shall I go for another medical test now, or are my previous results still valid for my current application?
Regards, etc

And get a reply like this, two days later:

Medical report is valid for only 1 year.
[automatically generated signature]

Expect officers to ask for copies of your passport even though NOWHERE in their document checklists did they mention such a thing was required. If an officer promises that a call will be made to you to advise you of the next action to take, no call will be made. Ever. No calls can be made into the embassy either, as the telephone line is carefully protected by a minefield of automated responses.

But if you really want some fun? Fill in the wrong form.

And then offer to pay the application fee with someone else's credit card.

1 comment:

eudora said...

ahahah.
I applied for my student visa to the States all on my lonesome. In between filling out tens of thousands of forms and getting the cashier's order to pay the form exactly right (who would even consider CHEQUES, right?) there were the stipulations for the photo that went on it (MUST Be able to see your ears, etc.)
I understand XD